This option is only available with Life Insurance. You only have this cover if we accepted your application and it is shown in your Policy Schedule.
1. What is Accidental Death Insurance?
Accidental Death Insurance provides a benefit which is in addition to the benefit provided under Life Insurance in the event that a Life Insured under the Policy suffers an Accidental Death.
2. Accidental Death Insurance eligibility?
You can apply for this Insurance if you (and/or your Partner Life Insured) are aged between 18 and 64 years of age, and are Australian Residents.
3. Accidental Death Insurance Benefit Amount
You (and/or your Partner Life Insured) can apply for an Accidental Death Insurance Benefit Amount from $50,000 up to a maximum of $1,000,000.
Maximum Benefit Amount (at Commencement Date)
4. Accidental Death Insurance benefit payment
We will pay the Accidental Death Insurance Benefit Amount as a lump sum in the case of Accidental Death (insured event) of the Life Insured while covered under the Policy except in the circumstances explained in "Accidental Death Insurance exclusions".
Limit on benefits
A Benefit Amount paid under the Accidental Death Insurance option is made in addition to any Life Insurance Benefit Amount paid. Only one Benefit Amount is payable per Life Insured under this Accidental Death Insurance. The total Accidental Death Insurance Benefit Amount payable for a Life Insured under the Policy cannot exceed $1,000,000 plus any automatic sum insured increases.
If the Life Insured is covered for Accidental Death Insurance under more than one Guardian Life Insurance Policy, we will apply this limit to the total of the Accidental Death Insurance Benefit Amounts payable for the Life Insured under all Guardian Life Insurance policies. Any reduction in the Accidental Death Insurance Benefit Amount will be applied to the Accidental Death Insurance most recently commenced and we will refund the premiums paid referable to the amount by which the Accidental Death Insurance Benefit Amount is reduced.
5. Accidental Death Insurance premiums
The premium you are required to pay for this option when the Policy starts is shown in your Policy Schedule. The premium is calculated at each Policy Anniversary and is based on the Benefit Amount provided for each Life Insured.
For a quote you should contact a Insurance Consultant on 1300 709 560.
6. Accidental Death Insurance exclusions
We will not pay an Accidental Death Insurance Benefit Amount in respect of a Life Insured if the Life Insured suffers Accidental Death directly or indirectly as a result of:
- intentional self-inflicted bodily injury;
- engaging in any criminal activities or illegal acts;
- suicide or attempted suicide;
- the consumption of drugs (unless it was under the direction of a Medical Practitioner and not in connection with treatment for drug addiction or dependence);
- the consumption of intoxicating liquor, including having a blood alcohol content over the prescribed legal limit whilst driving;
- engaging in any professional sport (meaning the Life Insured’s livelihood is substantially dependent on income received as a result of playing sport);
- engaging in any motor sports as a rider, driver and/or passenger;
- war (whether declared or not) or war-like activity, or taking part in a riot or civil commotion; or
- being a pilot or crew member of any aircraft, or engaging in any aerial activity except as a passenger in a properly licensed aircraft.
7. Accidental Death Insurance start and end
If your application for Accidental Death Insurance is accepted by us, cover starts for a Life Insured on the Accidental Death Insurance Acceptance Date set out in the Policy Schedule.
The Accidental Death Insurance ends for a Life Insured when the first of the following occurs:
- the date of death of the Life Insured;
- the date you cancel the Policy;
- the date we cancel the Policy;
- the date you cancel this cover; or
- the Policy Anniversary following the attainment of age 75 by that Life Insured.