You can apply for a monthly Homemaker Benefit amount of either $500 or $1,000.
This option is only available with Income Protection Insurance. You only have this cover if we accepted your application and it is shown in your Policy Schedule.
1. What is Homemaker Insurance?
Homemaker Insurance pays a monthly Homemaker Benefit while the Homemaker Life Insured is unable to perform any three of their Domestic Duty Tasks due to Sickness or Injury for longer than 30 days.
2. Homemaker Insurance eligibility
You can apply for Homemaker Insurance if the Homemaker Life Insured is aged between 18 and 59, and an Australian Resident.
3. Homemaker Insurance Benefit amount
You can apply for a monthly Homemaker Benefit amount of either $500 or $1,000 for the Homemaker Life Insured.
4. Homemaker Insurance benefit payment
We will pay the benefits explained below while the Homemaker Life Insured is covered under the Policy except in the circumstances explained in "Homemaker Insurance exclusions".
We will pay the Homemaker Benefit as a monthly amount when the Homemaker Life Insured suffers a Sickness or Injury and, as a result the Homemaker Life Insured:
- is unable to perform any three of their Domestic Duty Tasks; and
- is under the regular care of, and following the advice of, a Medical Practitioner in relation to that Sickness or Injury; and
- has continuously been unable to perform any three of their Domestic Duty Tasks for 30 days; and
- has continuously been unable to perform any three of their Domestic Duty Tasks since the end of the 30 day period.
The Homemaker Benefit is payable after the expiry of the 30 day period if, solely as a result of Sickness or Injury, the Homemaker Life Insured is unable to perform any three of their Domestic Duty Tasks. The Homemaker Benefit is payable monthly in arrears with the first payment occurring one month after the end of the initial 30 day period.
We will pay the Homemaker Benefit for a maximum period of 6 months for any one Sickness or Injury. Once the Homemaker Benefit has been paid for 6 months, no further payments will be made for the same or a related cause.
Example: The first payout would be 60 days after the Homemaker Life Insured was first eligible to claim (the initial 30 days plus 30 days because claims are paid in arrears).
Homemaker Benefit amount
The Homemaker Monthly Amount Insured is shown on your Policy Schedule.
If the Homemaker Life Insured is receiving Other Payments, the Homemaker Monthly Amount Insured will be reduced by the Other Payments the Homemaker Life Insured receives.
We will continue to pay the Homemaker Benefit until:
- the Sickness or Injury giving rise to the claim does not prevent the Homemaker Life Insured from performing any three of their Domestic Duty Tasks; or
- the Homemaker Benefit has been paid for 6 months; or
- the Policy ends; or
- the death of the Homemaker Life Insured; or
- the Homemaker Life Insured is no longer under the regular care of a Medical Practitioner with regard to treatment of the Sickness or Injury giving rise to the claim; or
- the Homemaker Life Insured is no longer following the treatment recommended by a Medical Practitioner at such intervals and frequency as will lead to a cure, alleviation, or minimization of the condition causing the inability to perform any three of their Domestic Duty Tasks.
The total of all Homemaker Insurance benefit payments is limited to $18,000 plus any automatic sum insured increases.
If the Sickness or Injury of the Homemaker Life Insured recurs within six months of the last Homemaker Benefit payment and you need to restart the Homemaker Benefit claim, we will treat it as a continuation of the previous claim for the balance, if any, of the 6 month maximum payment period.
Limit on benefits
Only one Homemaker Benefit is payable at any one time under this cover, even if the Homemaker Life Insured suffers more than one Sickness or Injury giving rise to the claim.
The maximum Homemaker Benefit payable under this policy is $18,000 plus any automatic sum insured increases.
If the Homemaker Life Insured is covered under more than one Guardian Income Protection Insurance Policy, we will apply these limits to the total of the benefits payable for the Homemaker Life Insured under all Guardian Income Protection Insurance Policies. Any reduction in the Homemaker Benefit will be applied to the Insurance most recently commenced and we will refund the premiums paid referable to the amount by which the Homemaker Benefit is reduced.
5. Homemaker Insurance premiums
The premium you are required to pay for this option when the Policy starts is shown on your Policy Schedule.
The premium is calculated at each Policy Anniversary and is based on:
- the age, gender and smoking status of the Homemaker Life Insured at that time; and
- the Homemaker Monthly Amount Insured.
For a quote you should contact a Guardian Insurance Consultant
on 1300 709 560.
6. Homemaker Insurance exclusions
We will not pay a Homemaker Benefit in respect of a claim for a Sickness or Injury occurring directly or indirectly from:
- A pre-existing medical condition that was apparent in the 2 years before the Homemaker Insurance started. A pre-existing condition is a physical condition or related symptom (whether caused by illness or injury) that the Homemaker Life Insured was aware of, or a reasonable person in the Homemaker Life Insured’s position should have been aware of, or for which the Homemaker Life Insured had a medical consultation; or
- a Mental Disorder or Illness; or
- an intentional self inflicted act; or
- attempted suicide; or
- the consumption of drugs (unless it was under the direction of a Medical Practitioner and not in connection with treatment for drug addiction or dependence); or
- the consumption of intoxicating liquor, including having a blood alcohol content over the prescribed legal limit whilst driving; or
- normal pregnancy (including participation in an IVF or similar program, normal discomforts such as morning sickness, backache, varicose veins, ankle swelling or bladder problems), giving birth, miscarrying or having a pregnancy terminated; or
- war (whether declared or not) or war-like activity, or taking part in a riot or civil commotion; or
- engaging in any criminal activities or illegal acts.
We will not pay any benefits where we have agreed a special term in respect of the Homemaker’s cover that specifically excludes the event or condition leading to the claim. Any such special term will be agreed with you before your Policy is issued and will appear on your Policy Schedule.
7. Homemaker Insurance start and end
If your application for Homemaker Insurance is accepted by us at the Commencement Date then the Homemaker Insurance starts on the Acceptance Date. If we agree to add Homemaker Insurance to your Policy after the Commencement Date, we will advise you of the date the Homemaker Insurance starts. The Homemaker Insurance ends for the Homemaker Life Insured when the first of the following occurs:
- the date the maximum Homemaker Benefit amount has been paid; or
- the Policy Anniversary following the 65th birthday of the Homemaker Life Insured; or
- the date the Policy ends; or
- the death of the Homemaker Life Insured; or
- the date you cancel the Policy; or
- the date you cancel this Insurance; or
- the date we cancel the Policy; or
- when the Homemaker Life Insured is no longer an Australian Resident.